On this episode of the active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Lucy Bennett Baggs about Just Challenge Global Impact, fundraising over US$1.5 million for charities including WaterAid, partnering with Laureus Sport For Good and Putting on very meaningful events to make a difference in the world. We also delve into working at HSBC, the world of sponsorship and events, taking companies to some of the remote places in the world, and A life creating challenges for people all around the globe.
Lucy Bennett Baggs – Just Challenge Global
Lucy is a young, determined
and entrepreneurial leader who knows the true meaning of being comfortable with
the uncomfortable, loves taking teams to incredible locations across the globe,
and has led fundraising efforts of over US$1.5 Million for charities around the
world, including WaterAid and Laureus Sport for Good. A leader who is passionate
about philanthropy, sport, entrepreneurship and bringing out the best in people.
She has a 1st Class Honors in a Marketing BSc from the University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, and was the winner of Women Leading Change in Asia, in 2018. Her career includes working at HSBC as part of the Undergraduate Management and Executive Schemes, and in Marketing, Sponsorship and Events. In 2017 she founded Just Challenge an agency designed to use sport and adventure as a platform to respond to business’ objectives – including CSR, employee engagement, client relationships and leadership development.
Lucy talks about:
- Looking for ways that I could think outside the box & how I could push other people.
- Being on a great graduate program at HSBC.
- Knocking on the head of sponsorship & events door desperately begging him for a job.
- Voluntarily organising two major charity challenges for HSBC, in the Sahara & Gobi Deserts.
- Differentiating yourself in a corporate culture of the survival of the fittest.
- Raising $250,000 for WaterAid on the first HSBC expedition.
- The importance partnerships & collaborations in sponsorship.
- How HSBC put rugby into schools with the Hong Kong 7’s grass roots sponsorship program.
- Constantly looking at ways to get corporates to have a voice.
- Switching from a life with a high level of certainty at HSBC to starting Just Challenge.
- Just Challenge Global Impact
- Why Oman, Great Wall of China, Himalayan Mountains, Mongolia & South Africa provide incredible destinations for Just Challenge.
- Taking people off the beaten track that is somewhere that people would go normally.
- Creating expeditions that are sustainable & environmentally friendly.
- Funding & investing in sustainable water pumps for Vietnam villages.
- Creating global policies to reduce and offset our carbon footprint
- Scaling Just Challenge.
- Joining Michael Johnson and Sean Fitzpatrick on the 2020 Just challenge in New Zealand.
- Pressure to demonstrate health & wellbeing both physically & mentally.
- Surround yourself with brilliant people & that will take you where you need to be.
- #inthistogether and going to places that you would never imagine you could get to.
CEO Performance Tip
Leaders Speak Last – How often do you go into a meeting and the lead person
talks, talks and talks some more? The people in the room begin to switch off
and when time comes to action following the meeting, no one really buys into
it. High Performing Leaders always speak last. They may open the meeting and
provide context, before allowing everyone else in the room to speak. They wait
until right at the end of the meeting to wrap up what has been said and
identify steps forward. This ensures everyone has an opportunity to speak, new
ideas can surface and the team makes the decision. In a 30minute meeting, a
high performing leader may only speak for 1-2 minutes.
“People want meaningful experiences and there are so
many beautiful places around the world that I think that brands can engage
their people whether it is clients, employees or leaders.” Lucy Bennett Baggs
talking about meaningful experiences, on the active CEO Podcast.
“Conversations we have when
your phones are off, you have got no signal, you are having real conversations
with people for the first time in a very long time, you are not walking, you
are not in the rat race, your meeting new people and asking questions. Its amazing
what comes out on these challenges and what they are going through.” Benefits of going off the grid with Lucy Bennett Baggs,
on the active CEO
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Lucy Bennett-Baggs LinkedIn
Just Challenge www.just-challenge.com
Just Challenge Twitter
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn
4 Day Week – Andrew Barnes Order Now
Four Basic Fundamentals Of Being A High Performing Leader Read Article
How To Be A High Performing Leader In 2020 Read Article
active CEO Lessons In 2019 Read Article
Four Ways To Overcome CEO Loneliness In 2020 Read Article
Latest active CEO Podcast Episodes
#73 – Four Basic Fundamentals Of Being A High Performing Leader Link
#72 – Azran Osman Rani (Naluri) Power Of The Mind Link
#71 – How To Be A High Performing Leader In 2020 Link
#70 – Miles Stewart (Triathlon Australia) A Lifetime Chasing Results Link
#69 – Deepthi Bopaiah (GoSports Foundation) – India’s Next Olympic Gold Link
#68 – Abraham Kamarck (True Made Foods) – Leadership Lessons From The Sky Link
#67 – Liz Volpe (Ambisie) – Dare to Dream Link
#66 – Bill Coletti (Kith) – Reputational Resilience & Transformation Link
#65 – Todd Greenberg (NRL) More Than A Game Link
#64 – Gabrielle Dow (Green Bay Packers) Green Bay Packers Experience Link