On this episode of the Sportspeople
Recruitment active CEO Podcast, Craig Johns speaks with Amanda Jacobs about She
Leads With Empathy, empowering women in sport, working at the London 2012
Olympic Games and the ultimate elevator pitch. We also delve into
entrepreneurship and working in corporate life, balancing family life, imposter
syndrome and the 3 major ingredients to a successful Olympic Games event.
Amanda Jacobs – She Leads With Empathy
Amanda Jacobs is a champion
of great ideas, engaging leadership coach for sport event professionals, and the
creator of the ICC Method. She is an empathetic and creative leader, who is
passionate about encouraging more women into leadership roles, empowering
people through The Event Show Podcast, and spending quality time with her three
She has a Bachelor of
Creative Arts, Theatre from the University of Wollongong, in Australia, and is
a Chisholm Institute certified Trainer and Assessor. Amanda loves being
involved in major sporting events with roles as Venue Manager at the 2007 World
Swimming Champs in Melbourne, Event Acquisition Manager for the Victorian major
Events Company, Head of City Operations Manager at the London 2012 Olympic and
Paralympic Games, and Strategic Business Management at Limelight Sports.
As a busy entrepreneur, she
has founded Like Minds Create, She Leads, The Event School Global, www.amandajacobs.com.au, and in her spare time, she
is the General manager of Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron.
Amanda talks about:
- She Leads with empathy.
- Following a pathway that she loved.
- Her first experience with imposter syndrome.
- The amazing experience of working at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.
- Managing multiple stakeholders under pressure.
- Taking your own personal objectives out and thinking of the bigger picture.
- The ultimate Elevator Pitch that led to the 2012 London Olympics.
- Connecting people with the bigger picture.
- The Blairgowrie yacht Squadron motto of Family, Friendship & Sailing.
- Her key leadership strengths of empathy, creativity and collaboration.
- Having a professional coaching appointment once per month.
- Empowering women in sport through She Leads.
- Females not being able to see a visible pathway to leadership.
- “You’ve got this” through Like Minds Create.
- Changing habits and restoring some balance in my life.
- How do we inject more play and creativity on a daily basis?
CEO Performance Tip
Your Main Job Is To Develop Talent – Leadership
development is a vital ingredient to company or organization success. As a
leader your main job is to develop talent. How are you observing and then
developing talent within your environment?
Identify, nurture, develop and challenge the talent within your
organization and ensure that it is aligned to their internal motivation and
“Its all about collaboration, getting the most the
skillset in that room, creating an ensemble that is high performing,
understanding how that theatre show is going to connect best with the audience
and a really early insight into what emotional intelligence is, and read
peoples emotions and understand why they are making certain decisions.” Amanda Jacob shares her leadership lessons from theatre, on the Sportspeople Recruitment active
“When I worked out that empathy is what I lead with, that’s when I became
the leader I am today, with confidence.” Amanda Jacobs discusses
leading with empathy,
on the Sportspeople Recruitment active CEO Podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this show:
Amanda Jacobs www.amandajacobs.com.au
Amanda Jacobs LinkedIn
Amanda Jacobs Twitter
Amanda Jacobs Instagram
Amanda Jacobs Facebook
Like Minds Create www.likemindscreate.com.au
Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron www.bys.asn.au
Craig Johns email@example.com
Craig Johns LinkedIn